Tuesday, August 19, 2008

"stamping" with your computer

First off, I have to say that I love my stamps. There's just something about opening up a drawer full and digging through them to find just what you need. But not too long ago I found myself loving all the digital art & doodles too. How cool to be able to "stamp" on my digital layouts and all available with a quick download.

If your like me and enjoy digital doodles or word art and even clip art then why not print them out and use them on your cards and tags too? Just think...a stamp in any size you want! It's as easy as opening up an image you like, sizing it and then simply printing it out on the paper you want.

On this card, I printed out the image from Talking in Circles by Sande Krieger. I just opened it in Photoshop Elements, sized it to fit my card front and then printed it out. I colored in the image with Prismacolor Pencils and a blender pencil....just like I would with a stamp!

supplies used:
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics, Eames
Digital Image: Talking in Circles by Sande Krieger (twopeasinabucket.com)
Colored Pencils & Blender: Prismacolor
Jewels: Carolees Creations Jewel Droplets
Ribbon: Creative Imaginations, Making Memories
Die: Spellbinders Nestabilites
Tool: Provo Craft Cuttlebug
Software: Photoshop Elements 3.0


On my second card I printed out a beautiful doodle created by Leah Riordan of Mommyish Designs. (seems my info is old and I couldn't find a current blog or site she sells at. If anyone knows where to find her, let me know so I can link it up. Thanks!) After printing this one out, I colored it in with Prismacolor Pencils and Stickles glitter.

supplies used:
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics
Pattern Paper: KI Memories Colorful
Quote Sticker: KI Memories Colorful
Digital Image: Leah Riordan of Mommyish Designs
Pencils: Prismacolor
Glittler: Ranger Stickles
Other: Baby oil for coloring
Software: Photoshop Elements 3.0


For this one I used a clip art image from Dover Publications. You can purchase their books that come with CD's and there are tons to choose from. If you sign up for their newsletter you can get a link to free clip art samples each week. That's how I got the beautiful rose image. It's a great way to try out their clip art. I wanted to test out my printer ink with various types of coloring to see if it would bleed. I used Prismacolor Watercolor Pencils and my water brush to color in the rose. My printer ink did bleed slightly, but honestly not enough to bother me. It seemed to have more bleeding where I colored lighter but I don't think it was anymore than certain dye inks.

supplies used:
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics, Eames
Pattern Paper: Creative Imaginations
Clip art: Dover Publications
Watercolor Pencils: Prismacolor
Waterbrush: EK Success
Stamp: Just Rite Stampers Monogram Circle
Rub-on: Making Memories
Software: Photoshop Elements 3.0


For the last one I did a walnut stain. The bird image is from Digicraftshop and after resizing it, I printed it just like above. But this time I inked it up with some Distress Walnut Stain, misted it with water and then used my heat tool to "move" the wet ink around to get the stained look. I was very surprised at how well my printer ink held up because I did quite a bit of misting! The image did soften a bit from the water, but I think it just adds to the aged feel.

supplies used:
Cardstock: Eames
Pattern Paper: Bo Bunny Romance
Clip art: Victorian Bird (digicraftshop.com)
Ink: Ranger Art Distress Walnut Stain
Mister: Judikins
Heat tool: Marvy Uchida
Die: Spellbinders Nestabilites
Tool: Provo Craft Cuttlebug

Software: Photoshop Elements 3.0

You can find lots of available clip art on the web along with many talented digital artists. So even though I love getting my hands inky with traditional stamps, I found that I love using my digital "stamps" too!

5 comments:

Linda Beeson said...

WOW!!! What amazing creations and what amazing ideas!!! I just love how you just expanded our supplies by your online ideas!

Tina said...

thanks for the reminder, i think i'll try clipart on my next card!

Julia Sandvoss said...

WOWOWOW Miki! You totally outdid yourselves with these! They are all amazing..that rose..beautiful!!

Ivy said...

You are so right...using your computer is ingenious! You have so much fexibility with size and dimensions..thanks for all the ideas! Your projects are all fabulous.

Melanie said...

These are just AWEsOME!! You are so brilliant. I just LOVE THAT BIRD card. Soo elegant. These are fantastic!