Friday, May 23, 2008

More With Watercolor Pencils!

I love to add color to objects in new and fun ways. Watercolor pencils are a wonderful tool for doing so! For my project today, I decided to use watercolor pencils to add color to felt. Here is what you'll need:


a piece of scrap paper, watercolor pencils, a squirt bottle filled with water, felt (white or cream colored felt works best) and glitter (I used Stickles)

Lay the felt onto the scrap paper. Squirt it with water so that it is dampened. Then rub the water colored pencils onto the felt. Lightly shade it on using the side of the tip. I used two different shades of blue on this project. While it is still wet, blend the color onto the felt using your finger. Leave some areas lighter than others to create a 'mottled' effect.



After it dries a bit, apply the Stickles. I spread this around with my finger as well.

Let the felt dry thoroughly. The Stickles take a while. I left it over night to be safe.



Once the felt is dried, you can use it to create a card, like I did, or add it to a scrapbook page or altered project.






Watercolor pencils are such a versatile, too. They aren't just limited to paper. As you can see, they add wonderful color to felt!

So, grab those pencils and get started!
Thanks for stopping by,
Anabelle

11 comments:

Lauri said...

okay! I just have to try this!!! (but I have to buy some felt first heehee!)

Linda Beeson said...

Wow - your project is completely magical! WOWIE! What a great look on that felt. I have used the Stickles on that felt and it really does take A LONG time to dry.

Keri Lee Sereika said...

WOWZERS that is amazing!!! I just love it!!! hmmm will have to see about getting some cool felt!

Debbie Olson said...

So beautiful--magical even!

Miki said...

Beautiful Anabelle!! The mix of blues is perfect on that card I love the feel of it. I bet its even better in person! Great idea & project!

Melanie said...

Anabelle - this is such a wonderful idea. You are so creative with felt! Love this idea. The card is beautiful!

Bunny B said...

Wow! That's lovely! Thanks for sharing :)

Jenn said...

Anabelle, this is an amazing technique! I can't wait to try this. You are just SO creative.

Julia Sandvoss said...

Awesome idea Annabelle! I definitely learned something new thanks to you! :-)

Anonymous said...

Annabelle, seriously you ROCK my world! I love that you colored felt and it is beautiful!!

Stacey S said...

I-N-N-O-V-A-T-I-V-E is your new name, Anabelle! This just rocks...YOU just rock!