Monday, November 17, 2008

Make your own button ornaments

Bless those little rugrats of mine who carry tote bags full of germs home to their mom after a long day at school... I found myself with a germ bug this weekend. As a result, the "germ bug" turned me into lazy bones! (ha!) While laying low, I started searching for those festive decor ideas. I found the idea on Marthastewart.com and had to make my own! I have a gazillion buttons so this was perfect-o! They turned out to be a really fun pass time.

Supplies: wire or floral wire, buttons in choice of colors, needle nose pliers and ribbon(s)
Step 1: Trim a piece of wire to about 9". I used floral wire which has a cloth type of coating. Use the pliers to create a small loop at one end.

Step 2: Thread the buttons on the wire until you get the desired length for the wreath. Mine is just a tad over 2" in diameter. After all the buttons have been added, push the straight end of wire through the looped end and secure. Trim the excess wire.

Step 3: Shape the wreath as desired. Add about 3-4" of ribbon to hang the wreath on a tree or embellish a gift. The ribbon should be added to the twisted wire; it leaves a little gap in the wreath and the ribbon covers that gap, nicely. Then, add another ribbon to accent, if desired.

Again, a photo of my finished ornament. Of course, my Christmas tree is not readily available, yet. So I had to use my faux pine tree- which is covered in feathers

Let the holiday bug bite you, too! (minus the "germ")
-Stacey

7 comments:

Annette said...

What a cute idea to make a button wreath! Your vintage cards are absolutely gorgeous!

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

Wow - you guys (er... girls!) totally ROCK!!! I blog stalk you all the time and bookmark ideas way more than I actually MAKE ideas... but because you are so amazing - I gave you a Blogger Award on my blog!!!

Now I must go find my button box...
~Karrilee~

DeeDee said...

This is so cute and fun and most of all....EASY!!!! Hope you feel better soon!! TFS!!

Linda Beeson said...

Perfect use for buttons - wouldn't this make a great kids craft too?

Anabelle O'Malley said...

This is adorable, Stace! I can't wait to try it.

Dizzie Noodle said...

This was such a cute and easy ornament, I think this is what I will have the kids make for the grandparents this year. THANKS!!

Jessica said...

Oh, good grief... as if I even needed another reason to scour the world and purchase every button in it! Geez, Stace... you are only encouraging my addiction!