Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Happy Belated Earth Day!

Earth Day was yesterday so I wanted to share a few projects I have designed which reuse/repurpose items that would normally be thrown out. I am in the process of moving my scrapbook room to the lower level of our home. I am also rethinking some of my storage and organization. I am trying very hard to stay on a budget for reorganizing and decorating my new space. Recycling a few items that would have been thrown away is definitely progress in maintaining my self-imposed budget! {smile}

One thing I had to change was the way I stored my pattern paper and cardstock. My previous method was not working for me. Rather than spend way too much on paper holders, I repurposed old shipping boxes from an online scrapbook orders. I traced the shape of a plastic paper holder than I had for magazines and trimmed the shipping box with a craft knife. Next, I spray painted the box using Krylon's Paper Finishes (Make it Suede) and allowed it to dry. I then trimmed the paper to fit each side & the front, then glued the paper in place. The "cardstock" label on the front is printed from a battery operated label maker/printer. I just inked the white label tape to coordinate. I have MANY more of these to paint and cover but I'm delighted with how this turned out.

The next recycled item I used were Crystal Light containers. I just tore off the labels, cut the paper to size, inked the edges and glued the paper in place. I want to add onto my pen storage so this is a perfect solution to keep adding on in a pyramid sort-of method. I just used glue dots to hold them together.

Here are both items:

This past weekend I was browsing Etsy and discovered a really cool Etsy store where she repurposes old rubber into pretty rings made with zip ties! I'd love to see any eco-friendly/recylcing type of crafts you've created! Just post a link in the comments!

13 comments:

Melanie said...

What a wonderful idea. Who can't use more storage items. I'm going to remember this idea. Especially love the pencil holders!

Miki said...

I am totally going to make some of those paper holders! Great ideas Stace and I love the color choices of papers you used.

Anabelle O'Malley said...

LOVE these projects!!! I can't wait to make those pencil holders...just gotta get some Crystal Light. :) I'll be posting my 'recycled container' gift idea on Friday! You've inspired me!

Sherry Wright said...

Super cool ideas Stace, can't wait to see your finished space. :0)

Linda Beeson said...

What great ideas! I love how easily you made it to understand what you did. Perfect stuff for a scrappy space!

Trish D said...

This is a great idea - I've been looking for horizontal marker/pen storage, but hadn't come up with any good options. Thanks for the inspiration!

Joani McDonald said...

OMGoodness. What excellent ideas!
Perfect for earth week too!
Hugs,
Joani

DeeDee said...

WOW! That is really a neat idea...I love to recycle when I can...thanks for the ideas!!

Ivy said...

Wow...I think I just found a site that I will be visiting often! I am going to add this blog to my favorites...you have great ideas! I am also trying to rearrange my scrapbook room! I love your pen holders!

KellyG said...

What great ideas Stace!!! Talk about thinking outside the box!!! Great projects!

Sharon Harnist said...

Fabulous ideas -- love your recycled storage ideas!

Margee' said...

? What size of shipping box will accommodate 12X12 paper?
Great idea!

Anonymous said...

What a great recycling idea, I use the crystal lite for pens but have not decorated them and I like the idea of the pyramid tower. I also throw those shipping boxes away and have thought of using them for storage but could not figure out how to get the right shape, so thanks and I can use them for more magazine storage. Great ideas.......