Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Colorful Mother's Day Gift

I decided for Mother's Day a great gift for my Mom would be a decorated box filled with all occasion cards. My Mom seems to have endless needs for cards to give to friends, co-workers and fellow members of a club she participates in. The box when empty can double then as a keepsake box for little mementos, jewelry or maybe I'll have to offer a card "refill" option!!

When gathering the supplies for this project I knew I wanted to work with a line that was generic enough to use for birthday's, anniversaries, get well etc. Here's a list of the supplies I chose:

Bo Bunny "Ella" Paper & Sticker Collection, Enchanted Rub ons, Flora Rub ons, Anna Sophia Rub ons, Thank You Rub ons, Which Way Chipboard, Melody Pink Alphabet, Heart Brad and Double Dot Ribbon
Paper Mache Box
American Craft mini polka dot ribbon and Precision Pen .03
Ranger Stickles: Lime Green, Yellow, Cotton Candy
Stampin Pastels
Bazzill Cardstock
Making Memories "Strawberries & Cream Paint", Small Tag & Wide Scallop Scissors
Paper Salon Mini Alphabet stamps
Colorbox Fluid Chalk Inks: Lime Pastel, Rose Pastel, Yellow Citrus, Rouge
Heidi Grace "Greetings" Clear Acrylic stamps
Cricut
Corner Rounder Punch
Marvy Mega Scallop Punch





I first gave the box a light coat of pink paint. This will help with any little gaps or spots to keep a consistent look. I then wrapped the box with the papers, traced along the top lid edge and cut out the paper to match. I then decorated the lid with chipboard embellishments for added dimension.



I created a gift card to go along with it. I used rubons on the circle then layered then onto the scalloped circle. I stamped the MOM onto a tiny Making Memories tag and added that to the circle with a brad. I adhered the circle with foam adhesive for a bit of dimension. I used another rubon that I tucked under the circle.



For each card I wanted to use my rubons..but I wanted to pull some additional color in given they are black. I also wanted to use come supplies that have been gathering a little dust...my chalks!






On the cards I applied the rubon. I then used a q-tip (my method of choice) and colored in the flowers and traced the leaves and stems. After I colored those in..I then went back over some of the flower centers and leaves with the Stickles glitter. This not only gave added dimension but beautiful sparkle. The rubons seem to come to life and become 2 dimensional with the added color.

After completing this project and seeing how the black rubons just pop with the added touch of color..I think I'll be doing this alot more!

To finish off in honor of Mom's day..I'd love to see what you can do with a touch of color and your rubons! If you'll post a link here on the blog to your project..I'll draw a name to receive a copy of the beautiful Heart & Home Magazine!

Thanks so much! And Happy Mother's Day..a few days early!!

Julia

10 comments:

Jenn said...

It looks wonderful, Julia! Your mom is going to love it!

Miki said...

What an awesome gift idea Julia!! I love those floral stamps you used and the chalk looks sooo beautiful! I love the softness it gave and the black ink highlights the chalk perfectly. Your mom is going to love this!

Anabelle O'Malley said...

Gorgeous, Julia. What a great gift! Love the way the chalks and stickles worked together to make the flowers look so pretty.

Rosanne said...

How absolutely gorgeous!Love the black stamps accented by colour!

Melanie said...

Julia - these projects are wonderful. Great idea for coloring in rub ons! Everything is beautiful!

Linda Beeson said...

What amazing colors! Great choice of papers!

Stacey S said...

Gorgeous, Julia! I'm loving the chalk AND stickles on the rubons! Such an awesome idea! Will definitely be trying that out, for sure!

DeeDee said...

GORGEOUS!!! If your Mom decides she doesn't like it....you can send it my way...LOL!!! VERY NICE!!!

The Rubber Maid said...

Great project. It certainly will be a wonderful gift for mother's day. Very nice. Pat

Muhammad Atif said...

I really like the designs of gifts for Mother's day.