Wednesday, June 25, 2008

goodbye/farewell book

My daughter's friend is leaving her school this week. Phoebe and her friends wanted me to help them make a farewell/goodbye card for her that friends and teachers could sign. We talked about the project while pulling out the craft supplies, trying to work out what to make.

We came up with the idea of a farewell/goodbye book. A little like an autograph book, where each friend could write a little goodbye message on each page.

I covered the book, while the girls punched shapes madly from pattern paper (which by now covered the family room floor). These punched shapes were used later in the project.

Here's the cover of the book:





I've used a small Maya Road chipboard binder book as the base for this project.

The book was covered with pattern paper. When covering chipboard books I use Helmar 450 Clear Adhesive as the adhesive. This glue is fantastic for paper crafting as it doesn't buckle the paper or the chipboard as some wet adhesives do, and it is quick drying (I mean really quick).

I then used double sided tape around the book to hold a length of grosgrain ribbon in place, which will be used as the closure for the book.





The above detail was added to the cover and placed over the ribbon. A scalloped oval punch shape was added as a base for the letter stickers.

With the book finished, all that was left was the collection of "farewells" for the recipient. This part I left for the girls to arrange and to decorate their pages. The punched shapes they'd made have been used to decorate each page.


Materials:
Maya Road 4"x4" chipboard binder book
Me & My Big Ideas Chester Juniper double-sided paper
Me & My Big Ideas Glitter Alphabet Stickers (gold)
Helmar 450 Clear Adhesive
Ribbon

So next time you are creating a card for an occasion which will require several peoples' signatures, why not consider creating a little keepsake book instead.

Hope you have a great week, and thanks for visiting.

Cheers

Fiona
x

8 comments:

Miki said...

What a wonderful idea Fiona! I love how the girls were really involved in the whole process and that little album is the cutest! I bet it will be treasured for a really long time.

retiredheather said...

What a wonderful Keepsake for Claire and a great way for her friends and teachers to wish her farewell.

Melanie said...

Fiona - this is just beautiful and what a sweet idea.

Julia Sandvoss said...

What a great idea Fiona! I'm sure this was a big hit! And what a wonderful keepsake as well. TFS :-)

BethW said...

Wow-I just got one of the binders as part of the Maya Road warehouse sale. Perfect timing for your inspiration.
Where do you get the glue?

Anabelle O'Malley said...

What a sweet idea, Fion! I love the glittered letters.

DeeDee said...

How CUTE!!! That is something she will cherish always!!! Very Sweet!

Linda Beeson said...

Fiona - your project is adorable! Cute size and I just love your accents with that paper and the glitter.