Monday, June 16, 2008

Quick and Easy Fabric Yo-Yo's

I was introduced to fabric yo-yo's after I received some in a scrapbook kit. I wasn't exactly sure what to do with them at first, but I soon found out they are fun to use as flowers on a scrapbook page or card, especially when you place a button in the center. Well, one day I was in the local quilting and sewing store to get some fabric for a different project. That was when I spotted "the yo-yo template". I asked about it and the ladies showed me how easy it was. I thought I'd share how to make them.

Supplies:
Yo-Yo Template (by Clover, 4" template)
Scissors
Fabric
Needle and Thread


First, place your fabric in between the two template plates (they snap together.)

Next, trim the fabric.

Then sew in and out of the holes in the template.

Remove template from fabric and pull the thread, making the fabric gather and the yo-yo forms. Tie the thread and flatten the yo-yo. I like to place a button in the center.

You can make these without a template. Simply trace the circle on the back of your fabric, fold down the edges and stitch.

This is a really neat thing to do while sitting on the couch watching a movie. There are oodles of things to do with fabric yo-yos. (like put on quilts, purses, and even create yo-yo animals). Have fun! I'd love to see your designs with yo-yo's.

Here are a couple of things I did with fabric yo-yo's.


Supplies
Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned papers and Bingo Card: Jenni Bowlin; Stamp: Inque Boutique: Ink: Clearsnap. Fabric and buttons.


Supplies: Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned Paper and Die Cuts: Cosmo Cricket; Stamps: Paper Salon; Ink: Ranger; Felt Flower: Fancy Pants. Other: Buttons, Fabric, Buttons, Twine.

Some tips for yo-yo making: Look for remnants. My fabric store has a barrel full of scraps. They will give you a small baggie and you can have whatever you can stuff in the baggie for $1.00. If you have an idea of what papers your are going to be working with, you can coordinate. In the pink and brown scrapbook page (above), I knew I was going to be working with that paper line and when I spotted a gorgeous pink and brown fabric in the scrap pile, I knew that would be perfect. Another tip - don't assume the fabric design won't work. Stripes and argyle make interesting yo-yos when they are gathered. Give it a try!

Happy creating and have a wonderful week!
Photobucket

15 comments:

Linda Beeson said...

How super CUTE!!! Love what you did with your little creations.

DeeDee said...

Oh cool....I didn't know there was a yo yo making "thingy" like that....I just do mine like you described tracing on the backside of the material and stitching them up....I just posted a card on my blog this morning that I used a yo yo on....I love using them on my cards!!! THANKS for the tips!!! BTW, Your projects are gorgeous!!!

Daniela Dobson said...

This is awesome, I will have to look for the template next time. BEAUTIFUL card!

Miki said...

Love them! They look so cute on your card & layout. What a great idea using that little tool!

Sherry Wright said...

Oh, these are awesome Melanie as are your projects!! So getting the template. :0)

Anabelle O'Malley said...

Love those yo yos!!! I need that template! Your card is amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

hOW FAB ARE T5HESE:)tfs!!!...
Great blog..I must add you to my blog roll:)if thats ok?...
`Thankyou`:)

Stacey S said...

LOVE these, Melanie! I would love to find that little tool you have and make these. How neat! Great tutorial and gorgeous projects! Thanks!

Unknown said...

What a fabulous idea!! I never would have thought to put them on paper crafts! The template looks great- will have to look for that. I sat right down and gave it a try! Here's my card:

Yo-Yo Sophia Card

Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Jessica said...

I had no idea these were so easy! Great tutorial, Melanie!

Nikki Bellish said...

how fun i'll have to try this!

Julia Sandvoss said...

Fantastic tutorial Melanie and I love your projects too! TFS

Jenn said...

Great directions, Melanie! They look so great that I'm going to have to give them a whirl!!

Fiona Carter said...

Great post Melanie. Your projects look beautiful with the yo-yos. I love making these too - I have about 4 different sized yo-yo making thingos myself.

Clau said...

Hi... it´s so cute.
This flower is made in Brazil. The name is FUXIGo. Look at google.
They do many things with it. Check out.