Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Art of Stamping Flowers

I recently found some really fun and interesting stamps at Kitchen Sink Stamps. Many of her stamps are referred to as "3-step" and in essence you are "painting" a flower or other design as you go. BUT - there is a challenge in figuring out what stamp pads and what colors to use to create the different layers. I wanted to not only show you the flower and leaves that I stamped but I wanted to show you the pads that I used. Mostly because you can see from the photo below that I mixed up the different companies of stamp pads in my choices.
These are the actual pads that I used for this flower. When you are stamping these layers or steps, you have to find colors that are going to get stronger or produce contrast to the layers. I found that hard to do with just keeping with one company or one kind of stamp pad. I have even mixed in the Fluid Chalk stamp pad and the ColorBox, Pigment ones. Here is a great example of not being afraid to experiment and play! You should see my pile of rejects!!! They all seem to work together and one thing that I really like is that as you creation sits for a minute, the colors seem to melt together. So if you aren't happy with your initial image, leave it for a little bit.
In the photo above, you can see the layers to this particular flower. For some reason I didn't stamp them in order so you have to follow the numbers that I put on each one. And, for my flower I used the Treasures cardstock by Worldwin and you see the texture in the paper that gave a "canvas" look to my flower.
Layer #1 - Vivid Yellow
Layer #2 - Marvy Brilliant Yellow
Layer #3 - Memento Tangelo
Layer #4 - Distress Ink - Vintage Photo
Each set of stamps from Kitchen Sinks stamps comes with a number of images in each set so you can see here one of the leaf choices. My background is an embossing plate by Provo Craft and that is highlighted slightly by rubbing over it with Fluid Chalk stamp pads.
After my flowers and leaves were stamped, I coated all of my cut out images with Inkssentials Crackle Accents. As this liquid dries, it cracks and I added a little emphasis to the cracks on the flower by patting it with a brown Fluid Chalk stamp pad. The brown ink "goes down into" the cracks to bring them out a little. I didn't add anything to the leaves.
Thanks for visiting Pursuit Of CraftYness today! The group of crafters here post yummy projects for your viewing pleasure and hopefully we have inspired you to try something new!!! Linda
CRACKLE DAISY card
Materials list:
Cardstock
Patterned paper – Wallflower/Times Nouveau Collection/Graphic 45
Cuttlebug embossing plate – Provo Craft
Fluid Chalk stamp pads – Clearsnap
3-Step Daisy stamp set – Kitchen Sink Stamps
Marvy stamp pad
Vivid stamp pad
Memento Stamp pads
Inkssentials Crackle Accents – Ranger
Ribbon

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Linda - that's a great technique. I love the steps, the stamp and that card as well!

DeeDee said...

Oh my that is GORGEOUS...it looks like a real flower or maybe a photo of one you cut out!!!! I love it!! TFS!!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I love the colors you used. Gorgeous job with KSS!! I loved your scrap page too:)
Good Luck!!



Dee Jackson

Shannon Tompkins said...

I adore Kitchen Sink Stamps but don't use my flowers enough. I need to take some time and just play with the color selections. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I'm impressed! Your flowers are gorgeous!

Anabelle O'Malley said...

Wow, Linda! This is one gorgeous card. You really have that 3 step stamping thing down.

Stacey S said...

OOOO Linda! These flowers are Gorgeous!!! Awesome card and great technique tutorial!