Monday, June 2, 2008

As Summer is upon us

How about a fun take on planter gardens?! It seems as if summer is here, already! Did we have spring? It is Kelly here, and I took a break from paper and decided to share another passsion... Gardening and planting flowers. My crafts tend to clear a path and make way for me to be out in my multiple gardens.
As fun as the gardens are... I also love the butterflies that come to visit, as well as the blooming flowers and veggies that begin to sprout.
Most of all I love all the little things that never had the intentions of being a garden container. For example, I have three portable wagon gardens. They have various sizes of clay pots, (fat, small, tall and the like) that are easily changed throughout the season. The one closet to the kitchen is primarily herbs. The other two (as the one above) is mostly for fun. The next few images will help you create a garden out of found unused metal. This metal vase seemed useless to me as it was, but the 25 cent price tag made it worth a try.

The next container is longer and has an the inside container that I wanted for something else. I bought both pieces for $7.00 and will get 2 projects for the price of 1!
So what to do with it?? You will see.

Now that the moss fully lines the metal objects, add a bit of dirt and your favorite flowers! Oh and don't forget the love and water!


Here are some additional examples I have used as alternatives for potted plants... Remember, peat moss is your friend.

Scour sales, thrifts stores, flea markets...Many can me be picked up for less then the change in your pocket.



Don't be scared to fill a pitcher filled with flowers and add an old potting bench for additional smaller pots.

This old iron piece was in the garbage bin. Now it is my outside centerpiece.

Please share with us some of your unique and creative outdoor planing...I have many more but do not want to bore you all... Cannot wait to see how different the responses are...and how it varies by climates/regions. Thanks for looking.

Kelly*G

10 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, Kelly... I have a black thumb, I swear, but I totally want to do a little wagon garden now! That is too cute!

Anabelle O'Malley said...

What a great idea for a post, girlfriend!!! LOVE your red wagon. And I love the mix of textures and colors in your plants. You've totally inspired me. ;)

Miki said...

I love the way your adding color to your yards! What great finds you got on the baskets and I love the wagons. I need to hire you as my garden guru!

Linda Beeson said...

I just love to have little treasures tucked here and there in our yard. It is even more fun when I find treasures at thrift stores, like you mentioned.

retiredheather said...

Thank you so much for this great post. Those portable gardens are fantastic! You have inspired me to plant...as soon as summer comes. It certainly isn`t here yet.
Retired Heather

Sherry Wright said...

These are adorale, loving what you've done!!

Melissa said...

Just what I needed to see Kell----gorgeous, gorgeous treats. Your yard looks amazing---thank you for the breath of fresh air.
Melis

Fiona Carter said...

Kelly, these all look so beautiful. I love the garden too, and will be trying these out when spring rolls around in my part of the world. Thanks for sharing such lovely ideas. Fiona x

DeeDee said...

WOW! I love all of them, but that wagon just gets me...that's my kinda stuff right there...awesome tips...thank you!!

Melanie said...

Beautiful stuff, Kelly. Thanks!