Monday, February 23, 2009

Simple Masking

Valentine's Day has past, so it is time to start thinking about Easter cards! I picked up this adorable A Muse stamp at my local stamp store last week - and I just adore it (almost as much as I love the candy!). I couldn't resist adding a little detail to it, notably:


Yes, I made the last one without an ear! Couldn't help it, as it is the first thing that I always eat with Peeps. It was so easy to do, that I thought I would share this simple masking technique with you today and you could give it a whirl, too.

First, grab a Post-It Note. I decided that for the appearance of 'teeth marks', a scalloped edge would be perfect. I cut my Post-It with a petite scalloped circle die from Spellbinders, but you could just as easily use a scalloped punch to achieve a similar look. Once you Post-It has been edged, you're ready to stamp.



Lay your Post-It down on the surface that you're going to stamp. Use your favorite technique for positioning your stamp (eye-balling, stamp positioner, etc.) and stamp, making sure that the ear portion stamps onto the Post-It, while the rest of the image goes onto the white.



When you take away your Post-It, you have a great edge that looks like someone was being sneaky with the Peeps! See how easy it is? By playing around with your stamps, you will find that masking can give new life to your images. I hope you give it a try and post back so we can see it!

Be well, Jenn

SUPPLY LIST
Cardstock: (Stampers Select, Summer Sunrise) Papertrey Ink
Ink: (Summer Sunrise) Papertrey Ink, Versafine Onyx Black
Stamps: A Muse Art Stamps
Dies: (Classic Square, Petite Scalloped Circles) Spellbinders Paper Arts
Other: (Waterfall Stickles) Ranger

12 comments:

Linda Beeson said...

OK, that is just too much! If they were brown, I would be after that card!!! LOVE the look you created.

Anabelle O'Malley said...

Ok, this is just too cute!!!! Love that stamps!

Anonymous said...

really really cute idea!

Beth aka BR-T said...

That is too funny!BR-T

.:♥Marit Pettinga-Meijer♥:. said...

Amazing... so easy and such a wonderfull outcome!!!
I'll try that some time!!!

Hugs, Marit.

Lydia Fiedler said...

Oh my freaking GOSH!!!!!!! This is ADORABLE!!!

Ginger said...

What a great idea for Easter Card wonderfully explained.
Loved the idea be linking for more to see it.
Thank you so much!

liannallama said...

ha ha! What a super cute idea for a card! Now I want that silly peeps stamp more than ever! Thanks for the tutorial!

Sheryl said...

This card is just tooo darn stinking cute!!! I to eat the ear off the peeps first.

twinkle teaches said...

Love it!! And so going to try it! :)
tina

Anonymous said...

Haha, great! It reminds me on a German movie I recently watched - the titel translates "one eared bunny" :-))

Colleen said...

This card is so darn cute! Love it and thanks for the reminder about the masking since I rarely think to do this!